- The crowd vibe was incredibly lame. Compared to home games at the Superdome this felt like a passive and small crowd with no passion. I can't imagine the players - especially the new ones - were impressed AT ALL.
- The Saints' opening drive on offense was extremely impressive. The line's job in the trenches and the running game especially was outstanding. Ben Grubbs in particular picked up right where Carl Nicks left off.
- Meeting Willie Roaf today in person was an honor. He was also more hungover than I've been since my 30th birthday. I can only imagine what he looked like last night. Haha. He definitely deserves it.
- Chase Daniel might have decent looking stats, but he doesn't get rid of the ball fast enough and he had a horrible interception in the end zone to kill a drive.
- Kevin Kolb looked beyond atrocious and his injury might be the best thing that will happen to the Cardinals all season long. If this had been a regular season game, the Saints might have won by 50 points.
- Sean Canfield is really really really bad. There is no way Luke McCown shouldn't get a look.
- Travaris Cadet gets the Onome Ojo award (trademarked and registered for Grandmaster Wang), and he'll make a great guy for practice squad. Andy Tanner also made a great case to make the team despite getting blown up late and losing the football.
- Adrian Arrington did not play due to a knee issue. Not good. That could be a death sentence for him, and it gives rookie Nick Toon new life.
- The new defense looked pretty sharp - especially Curtis Lofton... the dude is GOOD.
- Tyrunn Walker led the team with 5 tackles and a sack. Can you say practice squad? Seriously through, good first game buddy. Keep it up.
- Martez Wilson was a beast around the edge. I told Ralphie on the podcast he needs to beat backups to prove to me he can be a force. He did that and more. The guy is ready to be a permanent fixture on pass rushing downs.
- John Kasay had a field goal blocked late. Point, Garrett Hartley.
- Defensive back and kick return Laron Scott was camped underneath a punt only to watch it bounce about 5 yards away from him. Horrible. He did have an explosive kick return to make up for it.
- Courtney Roby needs to make this team. I almost forgot how ridiculously awesome he is as a gunner.
- Lawrence Wilson won the game with a late 4th quarter pick. Too bad he's suspended game one for substance abuse.
- The starting unit offensive line was solid, the backups not so much. Fenuki Topou in particular was really bad playing on the right side. Please cut him immediately.
- News was released just now that Vilma may get a settlement to reduce his suspension to 8 games. Getting him half way through the season? HIGH FIVE.
I absolutely LOVE this defense. That first team interception by Malcom Jenkins (I know its preseason but I don't think he had one all season last year!) was great! Will Smith needs to make that tackle on the running back in backfield on the first play of the first cardinals drive (Martez Wilson makes that wrap up btw). That DL caused chaos for the cardinals and would of had a safety if it had been a real game with legit refs. Drew Brees would of KILLED the cardinals. I mean NONE on the WR's really got to see the ball at all, it was all power running and dinky dump off passes that killed them lol. Saints took it so easy on them fools. But this defense will only grow smarter within Steve Spagz's scheme. Martez Wilson needs to become the next big thing on this DL and make us forget about Will Smith for at least 4 games. I get the feeling that Curtis Lofton is the LB we all kept hoping Vilma would return to. He may not be as vocal, but he definitely sets the tone for the rest of the defense and I think that's better than talking. He spoke with his pads anyways. This defense looks ready to fly to the ball this year. Id take this defense over the one that got touched in San Fran.. (not sure about that yet but by December, i'll go ahead and say YES). Add a defense that can stop a couple of drives every game to a high powered offense with a point to prove they can still put up the points without Peyton? Not to mention the defense has a chip on there shoulder due to these bounty fan boys. GEAUX SAINTS!
@swebbmann I forgot to mention Jenkins' pick. Great jump on the route. As far as Will Smith - no criticism from me. He blew up the play. It was a poor containment job on the backside that allowed that run to break free. Smith did his job of blowing the play up.
@SaintsNation Yeah your right I guess I was just disgusted with the amount of yards he was able to pick up after that lol.