- The Saints' defense is horrid and their pass rush is beyond bad. They had a nice stretch with the fumble/INT/forced punt sequence in the 2nd half that gave the team the lead, but besides that they were torched all game long. Patrick Robinson and Corey White were bad, sure, but how could any corner be good in this defense? The Saints played a poor pass blocking team and generated zero pass rush the entire game. Giving a quarterback of Aaron Rodgers' quality that much time will never end well. The Packers completely abandoned the run game late and Spagnuolo tried everything with his personnel, the players just aren't getting to the quarterback.
- The offense was overall good, especially Brees, but stalled drives deep in Packers' territory cost the Saints the game. Particularly three straight plays from the 2 where the Saints couldn't punch it in.
- Mark Ingram has just done nothing this season.
- There were numerous drops by Saints receivers in this game.
- Give Marques Colston credit, he played a monster game and ate the Packers' secondary alive. He's basically playing on one foot and you can tell he struggles to get any sort of burst, so for him to have a game like this given his limitations is very impressive.
- The pass blocking, by and large, was outstanding. Clay Matthews Jr. did get one sack, but he was knocked on his behind numerous times.
- The Saints run game was shockingly stonewalled all game. They couldn't get anything going. Just 45 yards on 19 carries.
- Joe Morgan got behind the Packers and finally showed off the deep speed that allowed him to make this team. The result was an 80 yard touchdown. He's still got a long way to go but it was a welcomed sight to give the offense an explosive play.
- As bad as this defense is, Curtis Lofton continues to impress. He runs well, recognizes plays and is a very sure tackler. If the Saints didn't have him the defense would have given up 80 points today.
- The corpse of Cedric Benson managed a very respectable 84 yards on 16 carries, but I half expected him to see some lanes because I figured the Saints would allow the Packers yards on the ground in an effort to drop more guys into coverage. The problem is this defense can't do anything right so it didn't help at all.
- The bottom line with this defense right now is they do nothing well. They don't tackle well (with the exception of Lofton), they cover poorly, they don't stop the run, and worst of all is their pass rush. The Saints won the turnover battle 2-0 and still couldn't win a football game. That should speak volumes about this defense. Rodgers did whatever he wanted for most of the game.
Heartbreaker??? Oh wait! That is for all those guys whose hearts haven't already been broken. I just accepted it. The game had no excitement for me from start to finish. The Johnny Unitas tying record for consecutive games with 1+ TDs was the most exciting thing. Now next week lets break that when we go to 0-5 Hell yeah!